New language won in the last round of bargaining expands your self-funded leave plan, adding the ability to do a 3/4, 4/5, or 5/6. The deadline to apply is prior to May 1. The TDSB should be posting the forms to apply on the TDSB website soon.
L – C.4.0. – Leaves of Absence – Self Funded Leaves Plan
New Collective Agreement Language
L – C.4.1. Permanent Teachers may apply prior to May 1 for a paid leave of absence under the following conditions:
- Any teacher having at least three (3) years seniority with the Board shall be eligible to participate in the Plan in accordance with the conditions of this Article;
- deductions for the Teachers’ Pension Plan pension, income tax or other required deductions shall be on the basis of the actual salary paid;
- the period for such leaves of absence with pay granted to a Teacher shall be credited to Teaching Experience;
- the Teacher granted such a leave of absence with pay shall receive all employee benefits for which the Teacher is eligible; and
- a Teacher on such leave of absence with pay shall be responsible for making arrangements for any further payments to the Teachers’ Pension Plan.
L – C.4.2. The period over which salary is to be deferred and accumulated, the amount deferred, and the year in which the leave is to be taken shall be one of the following:
- Three (3) years deferral of one-quarter of annual salary in each year followed by one (1) year of leave;
- Four (4) years deferral of one- fifth of annual salary in each year followed by one (1) year of leave;
- Five (5) years deferral of one-sixth of annual salary in each year followed by one (1) year of leave.
L – C.4.3. The Teacher shall agree, by contract, to remain a Teacher in the employ of the Board for a minimum of one year following the leave year.
L – C.4.4 Notwithstanding L.C.4.2 in special circumstances the Director may approve a leave under L.C.4.0 which provides for the leave of absence to be taken in a year other than the year indicated in the contract.
L – C.4.5 Prior to the leave occurring but not after January 1 of the year in which the leave is to commence, the contract may be terminated at the request of the Teacher on the terms of restitution specified in the contract signed by the parties. Such leave may only be delayed by the Board by giving notice prior to January 1 of the year in which the leave is to commence if the Teacher is indispensable to the program needs of the school in the next school year.
L – C.4.6 The Teacher shall agree to repay to the Board any overpayment which has occurred because the Teacher’s employment with the Board has ceased after the leave prior to the expiry date of the contract.