With Covid, mice infestations, and violence in the classroom, Health and Safety has never been more important. Our Health and Safety inspectors are working diligently to inspect schools and respond to forms and concerns.
Best practices mean having someone on staff who can share information as it comes in, someone who can flag specific concerns, and someone who will encourage members to complete the appropriate forms.
ETT would like to see one teacher representative in every school/work site who is the site contact for health and safety concerns and matters. While this role can be covered by the union steward, the role could also be taken on by another member.
- Point of contact at the school for health and safety
- Support person at school/work site for how to access and fill out H&S forms
- To echo members’ three basic rights
- The right to know about Health and Safety hazards and their controls
- The right to participate in Health and Safety processes
- The right to refuse unsafe work if they have reason to believe that their work is likely to endanger their health and safety
Training and resources are available on the ETFO and ETT websites and through the Health and Safety Committee.
ETT Health and Safety Coordinator
ETT Health and Safety Inspectors
Wards 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 11
Wards 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16
Terri Lynn Platt
Wards 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22