Media Release: ETT Building Better Schools Community Forum – June 6, 2015
Toronto – On Saturday, June 6, 2015, the Elementary Teachers of Toronto (ETT) will be holding its Building Better Schools Community Forum for the public at the Toronto Plaza Airport Hotel (1677 Wilson Avenue, Toronto).
Education issues are at the forefront of public interest, as news of school closures, Full-Day Kindergarten roll out, cuts to special education budgets, Toronto District School Board (TDSB) restructuring and employee work actions, and strikes have affected students, parents, and educators alike.
ETT is hosting the Building Better Schools Forum in order to build bridges and understanding between front-line teachers and parents in order to help set a positive agenda for change in the TDSB.
There is a lot to talk about.
Speakers and panelists include:
- Rathika Sitsibasan, MP, Scarborough Rouge-River;
- Chris Glover, TDSB Trustee;
- John Smith, ETT President;
- Nigel Barriffe, President of the Urban Alliance for Race Relations;
- Faduma Mohamed, co-founder of Positive Change;
- Neethan Shan, CEO of the Council of Agencies Serving South Asians;
- Seminar Workshops on topics such as “How to Save Your School,” presented by Jane Finch Action Against Poverty; and
- “Community Hubs” by George Martel, co-author of The School As Community Hub – Beyond Education’s Iron Cage.
Registration at 11:00 a.m., program ends at 6:00 p.m.
Professional Daycare provided for 3 to 10 year olds (RSVP). Complimentary lunch will be served.
The Elementary Teachers of Toronto (ETT) is a Local of the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO). With over 11,000 members, it is the largest teachers’ Local in Canada.
For more information, please contact:
John Smith, ETT President, (cell) 416-708-8261 or firstname.lastname@example.org