Letter to TDSB Director John Malloy Concerning New FDK Reporting Directives
The following letter was sent to TDSB Director John Malloy on December 9, 2016.
December 9, 2016
John Malloy, Director of Education
Toronto District School Board
5050 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario M2N 5N8
Dear Director Malloy,
ETT has been involved in intense communication with the TDSB, ETFO and Full Day Kindergarten teachers throughout the past few weeks concerning the release of the Guidelines for training and implementation of the new full day kindergarten reporting directives from the Ministry of Education.
ETFO, in its communication with the Ministry, has expressed significant concerns with the stringent timelines for implementing the new guidelines and the lack of funding for necessary training and professional learning.
ETT has heard these concerns from FDK teachers and we are requesting the following:
- That the TDSB delay the implementation of the new Full Day Kindergarten reporting template until the June 2017 reporting cycle so that ETT members can be provided with adequate resources and training;
- That Early Learning teams be provided with 3 full days of release with consideration given to rotating the training days by Learning Centres;
- That the training focus on both the curriculum and new reporting template;
- That the training be conducted by the Early Learning Department;
- That release time be provided for the training of Report Card Administrators on the new reporting template.
The Elementary Teachers of Toronto calls on the TDSB to act on these concerns and requests.
John Smith, President
On Behalf of Elementary Teachers of Toronto
Cc:Colleen Russell-Rawlins, TDSB; Robin Pilkey, TDSB